Imperial Tobacco spokesman Eric Gagnon will speak to reporters on 1 March 2019.
MONTREAL – Quebec Council of Tobacco and Health Monday said that recently court winners of court-winning judges had been refused justice after the judge of JTI-Macdonald Corp..
JTI-Macdonald was one of three companies lost in the Quebec Appeal Court in March 1. The determined judging court confirmed ordered to pay billions of dollars in dams for Quebec smokers. Now that the protection of creditor, JTI-Macdonald, is that the company will not be required to distribute any funding to tobacco sufferers at the moment.
A decision from Ontario High Court awards legal cases against the three companies to 5 April, although only JTI-Macdonald is seeking protection from creditors. Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco didn't demand such a request.
The Quebec Council on Tobacco and Health led two class actions against the companies and won in 2015, when Quebec Superior Court Justice, Brian Riordan, ordered the companies to pay payments of more than $ 15 billion. smokers who have become ill or caught it. At the time, it was thought that the regulation was the largest piece of activity in Canada's history.
Philippe Trudel, one of the lawyers representing tobacco victims in the class action, said a decision in Ontario court to go against the three companies "unusual." T Bujold, spokesperson from the Quebec Council on Tobacco and Health, said that the control of Ontario court can be extended beyond April 5 and laments that victims will not see any money.
“Companies are very good at finding strategies to avoid accidents that were asked to pay,” Bujold said, there will be a debate about the court's decision.
“The Superior Court in Ontario is halting the rights that six judges in Quebec put forward,” he said. “It's inappropriate.”
In a statement released on Friday, JTI-Macdonald stated that they were to be protected by the Company Creditors' Conciliation Act to “protect 500 Canada jobs and continue those operations”. T business with few problems.
“We greatly disagree with the court's decision and take all necessary and appropriate steps to protect our legal business,” he said.
All three companies are also considering applying for a $ 15 billion bill to be brought to the High Court of Canada.