It is impossible to say that in Earth there are only millions of plans that are only life on Earth, according to Professor Earth. Paolo Ferri. "I am sure that life in many forms – from primitive monophonic, to evolving organisms, or even to civilizations," he says.
Discover Professor Ferri's name alongside many famous campaigns – Rosetta, ExoMars, Bepicolombo and so on. p. While it is near three decades of the European Space Agency (ESA) career, the professor has worked in science and delivers education, so it will be. A media interpreter and a visiting teacher at universities.
Mr Ferrita is also known as Mr Rosetta, since 1996 he was one of the chief leaders of Rosetta. During that time, a spaceship that had traveled for nearly ten years arrived by hundreds of thousands of kilometers of the comic 67P, and in 2014, it came to the top. One day, he has taken the pot for Philae the small probe. This was the first time a man had succeeded in carrying out such a complex process.
Since 2013 Professor UHD is head of the ESA Mission Control Division at the European Center of Operations (ESOC) in Darmstadt, Germany. The reputation of Mr Ferri is bestowed upon him in science with many prestigious awards. We spoke to Mr Ferri as his place of work at the ESOC Mission Management Center.
"The Air Traffic Management Director is like a conductor – many professionals work at the control center at the same time, and my duty is to make sure that they work properly." Especially in times of crisis: for example, when they are tested in Mars or on comedy that runs for millions of kilometers, "Ferri starts talking.
– The last minutes of a mission mission are called “shortlists” when permanent or unsuccessful work is carried out. As a "director" you don't only need to be managing your stress level, but also encouraging the team. How are you doing that?
– All this depends on the purpose. For example, in Mars it's awful noticeable; as the 5th reason of Rosetta to test the test on comet – 7 hours (laughing). So 7 hours, when we can't do anything, just look out, we've not made mistakes in 10 or 20 years of preparation. In that case, I can only encourage members of the team to go home for rest. We will never change things.
But that's not every 7 hours. 2.5 years of Rosetta to Philae's separation and the descent on the orbit, the spaceship was left with no connection to it. Before we started our mission, we had to prepare everything so that everything went on and got involved in plenty of time. These 2.5 years were some of the hardest in life. I must admit, I think, that I was a bit worried: did I do everything right? Haven't I forgot that? Even the smallest, even 2 per cent. an error can be true.
I always say that not just the answers are the most important thing in science, but the questions are right. In the scientific process, the answer must help to raise a new question. Just like that is how we proceed. Science has the same thing as mistakes – if you don't make mistakes, you don't test all the choices and just do what is done and tested.
– Scientists working on space tours seem to be ahead of time.
– That's right. It is normal for our job to live in the future… Space management is not the same as flying in real time. You must plan everything in advance. Time depends on a message – if the intention is active, the teams will be sent to the space ship for hours, days or weeks ahead; if the mission is “sleeping”, I said, sometimes the teams have to be prepared a few years in advance.
At present, my responsibilities include 23 satellites and spaceships. At least one happens every day, something needs to be repaired. One of the toughest times in December last year was when we had to try the new type of BepiColombo engines [ESA misiją į Merkurijų, – aut. past.] on a spaceship. There would be one slight explanation that BepiColombo would never get Mercury after 7 years, and all the work would have been wild.
– In 2016, the European Space Agency which landed there on Mars was reduced by the Schiaparelli model. As you said, the mission is necessary to prepare many years. Then, the whole world, all the main media were talking about failure… And what was going on at that time?
– We were lucky that very few years had happened to the European Space Agency. In the place we are talking to, we had to be in a crisis. The situation with Schiaparelli was very difficult – the sign dates from a few minutes before it landed, and we were just looking. When the signal came from Mars to Earth, we realized that everything was … for us, it was a terrible loss. With Schiaparelli, some scientists have been working for 10-20 years.
The first thing you can do to help these people understand the situation and what has happened. For Schiaparelli, the jetty failed, but we understood all the errors which were made and exactly what needs to be changed to prevent it happening again.
– And how is it explained to the public? What science is science?
– For this we have recruited communications specialists, which we create an action plan for each issue. We are scientists and engineers, not communications experts. If not it was very bad. On Schiaparelli, we tried to explain that we had done anything else, so there's a great chance that we can make mistakes. Most importantly, to learn from them and do not do it again.
In general, science did not have science communication. We sit down and nobody would understand what we do and why.
– Why did you choose to study location?
– I was nine years old when his first astronauts came ashore in the moon. So, in my generation, people were generally interested in a place, it's a "generation of place".
Unfortunately, I quickly realized that I wouldn't become a astronaut (laughing). Just … astronauts are so small, it seemed like a really practical choice for me. I chose physics, but it was the biggest place I ever was. So, when I saw the news that the European Space Agency was looking for scientists, I decided to try my hand. It was in 1984.
I think there are some very strange people who encourage them to go beyond the boundaries and keep learning more. If research ceases, halt and progress.
There can be no doubt that one day our plan dies. We need to find other means other than humanity, the future of the future. Indeed, this is not an excuse to destroy your planet now, what we are doing intensively, but we do not yet have Plan B. We take it out or destroy someone (asteroid, etc.) our planet, nowhere else. So we have to try to save the Earth, but to think about the future.
Now I can't sleep at night because of bad things. We are working on a phased basis for the mission of Jupiter, which is a feature of what is likely to be in the land. Very willing to find out.
– When it comes to human life, do you think it exists?
– In my research year, we couldn't find planets outside our solar system. Nobody could find out if there were planes around them in the holes. Even some scientists thought that the planets were only created in the sun. In fact, not all agreed… just mathematically it is impossible that there are millions of billions of solitary stars. Then in the 1980s we got out of the first eyes and we now know several miles! In statistics, scientists believe that at least one of the stars of the Pass of the Passenger line has at least one planet. Our galaxy is 250 billion stars. The Earth has around one hundred billion stars.
Life may be a bit strange. But even then, it is difficult for me to believe that nowhere is the Earth – in the billions of the planet's plans.
I am sure that life in many forms – from primitive monophonic, to evolving organisms, or even to civilizations. But, in space time, civilization is quite short. And the accuracy is great. I think the probability of finding life is unusual, especially sensible, almost zero.
– You may have noticed that there are a lot of changes over the years, what is the best for you to know?
– First, we have developed our space technology. In the past, almost all campaigns had failed. Modern space technologies were very innovative. Today, we are creating a spaceship that has been in operation for 20 years or more, and it will not be possible for them to live in the meantime if a thermal is not unimportant. We have a number of telecommunications satellites and Ground Investigation that serve every day.
Progress is being made on the waves. At the "Space Race", the USA and Russia were competing, the first thing affecting a place, creating better technologies. Everyone was convinced the race would not finish and progress was imminent. As a student I was sure that it was a student in 1985. People gather in Mars! (laughing) Then the reverse started – a smaller stop of interest, and less funding,.
After a while the rug began again. Everyone thought that it is not just the place of astronauts, but also of ordinary people. Taking forward rockets and cheaper technologies, the Space Shuttle and more p. But, in 1986, a challenging accident [kai praėjus vos daugiau nei minutei po paleidimo, susprogo erdvėlaivis ir žuvo 7 žmonės, tarp kurių buvo ir mokytojas, – aut. Past.], everything was stopped again. We recognized that it is only "cosmos – for everyone," so far, but deceived.
Today, I think we're in one more step. In the middle, exchange of space exploration. Let's see where we can get it – whether it will be another attraction or a revolution in the future.