Friday , September 20 2019
Home / zimbabwe / Migration is as early as humanity and should be welcomed

Migration is as early as humanity and should be welcomed



Listen to the words 'African migrant' and many Europeans reveal the image of a boat full of young men fleeing from extreme violence and inhuman poverty in some major adverse effects of the region. landscape. Like many stereotypes, the figure is identical in that picture. Like many, it is also very wrong.

According to research migrated from Africa by the Mo Mobrahim Foundation, which suggests a better government in the region, the picture is more complex. For first, only 20 per cent of migrants flee from insecurity. The other 80% are looking for better jobs and better opportunities. Many are young, well educated and female. If they were white, they attacked them as immigrants.

In fact, few African migrants arrive in Europe. Only 14 per cent of African migrants (24 per cent of Europeans) and 70 per cent of those who live in Africa are in Africa. In 2017, the 10 African migration streams filmed less than the numbers migrated from Mexico to the USA.

When it comes to African refugees fleeing violence or persecution, around 90 per cent will move within the continent. Countries such as Uganda and Ethiopia are among the largest numbers of people who have been displaced, including people fleeing from conflict in Sudan, Somalia and others.

It helps return to basic things. Migration is as early as humanity. And it wasn't true for us to have been all separated in Glen Rift. Many civilizations, including the Tang dynasty (AD619-907) and the USA for much of the 19th century, were innovative and hopeful when they were open to migration. Mo Ibrahim, the Sudanese businessman after the foundation, says that there is “healthy” migration and “not disease”.

There are many factors outwith the narrow economy to support free flow of people. One is to be seen as a real human right. The other wants to embrace the tragedy of previous generations of immigrants who set up the door to those who had not yet arrived. When it comes to colonizing Africa in Europe there are historic debts. You broke it, it's yours.

A survey of a recent Pew Research Center on public attitudes suggests that attitudes to immigration are lower than headlines. He found out that most people in top-end countries supported a dispute that migration is “making us stronger” rather than seeing it as a burden. Perhaps, surprisingly, the USA's ideas for migration improved better than the 1990s, and some people growing in the UK, France and Spain saw their positive side. Alexander Soros, deputy chair of the Open Society Foundations, goes as far as saying that “migration crisis” is not outside the remarkable accounts of nationalists.

However, whatever the research appears, the reprint is taken out of the British Brexit to Brazil Jair Bolsonaro. Just can't blame nationalist views of politicians of poor religion, many of whom expressed an existing feeling. Closer inspection of Pew's study 'shows a social divide in opinion. Younger people and those with educational levels and income are more likely to see in-migration as positive.

Anti-immigrant views are not exclusive to the west of Scotland. In South Africa, migrants from Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Malawi have been discriminating, violent and even death. Although most do it hard for society, they are often made by feather. Even the National African Congress – the original rainbow party – promises to build illegal migration flows.

When it comes to African migration to Europe more can be done to emphasize the idea and reduce the impact. The European Union should encourage legal flows from Africa, perhaps through a “green card” lot in the US style. To the extent that it tries to discourage illegal ill-health, it should work to the values ​​expressed. T It does not rule out the borders with the Libyan coast guard and the Libya camps, where migrants have been raped, injured and increased, sensibly.

African governments must also take part. Why are there so many African doctors, educators and scientists coming to Europe to find work? As too many African states forget public health and education, while their guests pay privately abroad. All domestic opportunities would enable young and aspiring young Africans to pursue their careers at home.

Whatever the politics, the future of Africa and Europe is inextricably linked. Being close to some of the causes is. Demographics are equally important. The African population will have a double generation to 2bn. Average age in Africa is 19; in Europe it is 38. How the population of Europe goes down and down, Africa will play an important part in making the gap. The sooner European governments see a hopeful thing to be led, it's not a bad thing despite fear, the best.

david.pilling@ft.com

Follow David on Twitter: @davidpilling


Source link